The Fourth of July is almost upon us! Here’s what you need to know to start your week in Newport and environs!
• Join the Island Commons Food Initiative on Tuesday, June 30 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Newport Vineyards to learn about and voice your ideas about local food issues. The winery will offer tastings and local chefs will serve seasonal hors d’ouevres. The cost is free; r.s.v.p. is required.
• Visit the Pilot’s House on Bowen’s Wharf on Wednesday, July 1 for a book signing with Rockwell Stensrud, author of Newport: A Lively Experiment, which was just released in paperback. The event begins at 5 p.m. with cocktails at the marina to follow. Sales of the book will benefit the Redwood Library & Athenaeum.
• On Wednesday, July 1, head out to OceanCliff for the Seaside Sip ‘n Shop event, an evening of cocktails and shopping from some of our favorite local designers and shop owners including Haarstick Jewelry, Chateau & Bungalow, Pink Pineapple, Coho USA, Harrison + Pike, and many more. Admission is free with complimentary champagne and hors d’oeuvres from 5 to 8 p.m.
• In conjunction with Bacardi Newport Sailing Week, Sheldon Fine Art on Bowen’s Wharf is hosting a cocktail party on Thursday, June 2. From 5 to 7 p.m., sip complimentary prosecco while perusing maritime and other artwork.
• You know it’s summer when newportFILM Outdoors kicks off! On Thursday, July 2, bring your chairs and a picnic to the heart of downtown Newport, to watch the exhilarating documentary, Sunshine Superman. The film portrays the story of Carl Boenish, the father of BASE jumping, whose passion for skydiving led him to ever more spectacular and dangerous feats of human flight. The screening begins at sunset (approximately 8:45 p.m.) in Queen Anne Square, followed by a Q&A with director Marah Strauch. An r.s.v.p. is required with a suggested donation of $5.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.