Summer is in full swing and there’s no shortage of things to do! Here’s what you need to know to get your weekend on.
• The 11th annual Ida Lewis Distance Race begins today, Friday, August 14 at 12:30 p.m. The overnighter features four coastal race courses and starts and finishes off of Fort Adams.
• The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County hosts it popular Newport Yacht Rendevous in partnership with Yachts International tonight, Friday, August 14. The evening kicks off at 5 p.m., when guests can “yacht hop” from boat to boat, coming aboard magnificent motor and sailing yachts docked at Newport Shipyard. Dinner and dancing follows. Reservations are required.
• Comedian Bob Marley returns to the Newport Comedy Series this evening (Friday, August 14), too, at the Hyatt on Goat Island. Marley, who stars in his own Comedy Central standup special, has also appeared on The David Letterman Show and Late Night with Conan O’Brien. The show begins at 8 p.m.; tickets can be purchased online.
• One Bellevue at the Hotel Viking is serving up an Italian Heritage Dinner tonight, Friday, August 14. The prix-fixe dinner includes a first course, entrée, and dessert for $39 per perrson. Reservations are available between 5 and 10 p.m.; call 401-848-4824.
• As a part of the restaurant’s Culinary Master Series, Forty 1 North welcomes Chef Michael Solomonov, a 2011 James Beard Award winner (Best Chef, Mid-Atlantic). He’ll cook for guests tonight (Friday, August 14) beginning at 6:30 p.m. The dinner ($100 per person) includes dinner and wine pairings, as well as an opportunity to meet the chef. Reservations are required.
• Get your hula on at the 17th annual Newport Storm Luau at Fort Adams on Saturday, August 15! Live music food and, of course, Newport Storm Beer and Thomas Tew Rum will be readily available from 3:30 till 9 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $20 at the door; proceeds benefit the Fort Adams Trust. Heads-up: This is a cash-only event.
• The Newport polo team will face off against Philadelphia in a classic six-chukker match on Saturday, August 15 at 5 p.m. Head over to cheer them on and smoosh some divets!
• The Newport Art Museum’s annual Wet Paint event invites hundreds of artists to spread out across Newport County on Saturday, August 15 to create new works of art in just a few hours. These “still wet” works will then be auctioned off for the benefit of the Museum on Saturday, August 15 at a preview reception that evening. Bidding resumes at noon on Sunday, and closes at 3 p.m.
• The Norman Bird Sanctuary’s Bird Ball will held Saturday, August 15 at 7 p.m. This year’s theme, Wings and Wheels, lauds the era of hot rods and rag tops not to mention the hand jive and bop. Poodle skirts, leather jackets, ducktails, and Dippity-do encouraged. Tickets are $175 per person.
• End the weekend on Sunday, August 16 in King Park with the Newport Independent Music Festival, featuring Slippery Sneakers, Leslie Grimes, and Matt Bruneau. Bring a blanket, kick back, and enjoy the music from 3 till 6 p.m.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.