It’s a weekend of galas and sporting events here in Newport! Here’s what you need to know to kick it off.
• The U.S. Coast Guard Tall Ship Eagle arrives at Fort Adams today, Friday, August 7. She’ll be open for tours 12 – 7 p.m. today, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Saturday, and 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday.
• Newport International Polo’s annual black tie gala, Ball Carnaval, will be held tonight, Friday, August 7 at 7 p.m. at Rosecliff. Tickets are currently sold out, but you can be added to a waiting by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Funds raised will support the Roger Williams Park Zoo.
• Didn’t get off the wait list? You can still catch some polo on Saturday, August 8, when U.S.A. will take on Brazil at 5 p.m.
• The International Tennis Hall of Fame will host newportFILM’s 6th Annual Summer Benefit in the Horseshoe Rotunda from 6 to 8 p.m. Tickets are $150 and can be purchased online.
• Also on Saturday, August 8, the Newport County Community Mental Health Center’s second annual Rock the Mansion Benefit Event at Ochre Court begins at 7 p.m. Tickets are $100 and can be purchased online.
• Feeling athletic? On Sunday, August 9, Race the State – a five-leg, multi-sport race that spans the width of Rhode Island – will challenge individuals and teams to run, stand-up paddle, kayak, and bike for a total of 55 miles. Registration is still open, or you can just cheer on participants as they pass through Newport on foot during the third leg as they make their way from Third Beach River to Fort Adams.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.