It’s going to be a beautiful summer weekend, Newport! Here’s what you need to know to get out on the town and enjoy it.
• Kick off the weekend with the sounds of snapping nylon and string at the annual Newport Kite Festival, which begins today (Friday, July 10) at 10 a.m. at Brenton Point State Park. The festivities continue through the weekend on Saturday and Sunday with contests, demos, face painting, and more. Admission is free.
• The Newport Regatta – a premier one-design race hosted by Sail Newport – begins today (Friday, July 10), too. More than 100 boats will compete through Sunday, July 12.
• The Newport Gulls take on the Danbury Westerners at Cardine’s Field tonight (Friday, July 10). Gates open at 5 p.m. with the first pitch at 6:35 p.m. Tickets are $4 for adults; $2 for seniors, military, and teens; and $1 for children 12 and under.
• Also tonight (Friday, July 10): Island Moving Co.’s summer gala fundraiser, Nuit Blanche, begins at 7:30 p.m. The beautiful event, which will feature dance performances and a live orchestra, is being held this year at the Wyndham Estate (36 Beacon Hill Road). Tickets are still available and start at $175.
• Nearly 500 swimmers will participate in the 39th Annual Save the Bay Swim on Saturday, July 11. The course begins at the Newport Navy Base and ends in Potter Cove on Jamestown. Got a kayak? Consider registering to support a swimmer.
• As Wimbledon winds down, top lawn tennis pros head to Newport to compete in the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships here in Newport. The tournament is the only event played on grass courts outside of Europe. The competition begins Saturday, July 11 at 10 a.m. and continues on next week.
• Saturday July, 11 also marks the start of Family Fun Weekend at the Tennis Hall of Fame, with clinics, exhibits, and more. The two day event will be held 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. each day. Admission is $7 for kids and $15 for adults. Tickets can be purchased online or at the gate.
• The Fifth Annual Water Brothers Surf Fest returns to Fort Adams on Saturday, July 11 from 1 to 8 p.m. More than 800 vintage surfboards and 500 skateboard will be on display, alongside two skateboard ramps, beer gardens and lots of food vendors. Tickets are $15; kids under 10 are free. After the festivities, head up to Jimmy’s Saloon for the official after party – there’ll be live music from 10 p.m. till 1 a.m. with a $5 cover.
• Team USA faces the Irish this Saturday, July 11, at 5 p.m. at the Newport International Polo Series. Spread a picnic on the lawn or reserve your seat in the Alex and Ani Pavilion for an afternoon of action-packed sport.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.