It’s Fourth of July people! There are lots of activities happening in Newport including, of course, fireworks. Here’s what you need to know to start your weekend.
• It all kicks off with Festival: Fort Aqua at Fort Adams today (Friday, July 3). This water festival and 3-D art installation begins at 4 p.m. with bands, food, and a beer garden. As darkness falls, holograms will be projected onto running of water to dazzling effect; LED-lit fountains, a laser show, and fireworks are also part of the fun. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased online or at the gate.
• A Family 4th of July Bike Parade with Bike Newport is happening Saturday morning, July 4. Meet at Ellery Park, across from Bucci’s Package Store (where Thames, Farewell, and Poplar meet) at 9:15 a.m. Decorate your bike then ride with friends, family, and fabulous vintage bikes around Washington Square. Stay on for a band concert at 10 a.m., followed by a reading of the Declaration of Independence, a pie eating contest, and a cannon salute at 11 a.m. Liberty and bicycles for all!
• In polo this weekend, Newport will face off against a regional rival on Saturday, July 4 at 5 p.m. in the Independence Cup, a classic 6-chukker match. Bring the kids and your pets and spread a picnic on the lawn.
• Rose Island Lighthouse will host their annual 4th of July barbecue on Saturday, July 4 beginning at 6:30 p.m. The evening includes transportation, food, lighthouse tours, music, and an incredible view of the Newport fireworks! Attendance is limited to 150 people – lucky for you, then, that tickets are still available.
• Make your reservations to watch the fireworks from The Top of Newport at the Hotel Viking, which includes a buffet dinner. Call 401-848-4824 to claim your spot.
• Last but not in any way least, the Newport fireworks blast off from the middle of Newport Harbor at 9:15 p.m. on Saturday, July 4. You can view them from just about anywhere along the waterfront facing west. In case of rain, the fireworks will take place on July 5.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.