Hello Newport! The weather is finally warming up, and that means there’s a ton to do! Here’s what you need to know about Newport and environs to start your weekend.
• On Friday, June 12, taste the foods of India at the Hotel Viking’s Culinary Passport Dinner. The three-course dinner will be served at the hotel’s restaurant, One Bellevue. The event will begin at 5 p.m. and is $39 per person, excluding tax and tip.
• Get off-island, celebrate the British lifestyle, and indulge in the beauty of classic British motorcars at the British Motorcar Festival, happening in Bristol. With more than 300 vintage cars from across New England, the event begins on Friday, June 12 with a free Street Party at Independence Park from 6:30 till 9:30 p.m. The festival is open to the public on Saturday, June 13 and Sunday, June 14 at Colt State Park; gates open at 9 a.m. The show includes the British Concours d’Elegance in the USA (a judged competition), the British Classic Motorcar Show (a Peoples Choice award), a British Race Car Paddock, and a British Car Corral. Vroom vroom and cheerio!
• Actor, director, writer, and comedian Mike McDonald will be performing at Newport Vineyards on Friday, June 12. Best known for starring in the sketch comedy show MADtv, McDonald has recently been touring across the country. The show begins at 7:15 p.m. with the doors (and bar!) opening at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $30 per person.
• The SVF Foundation, which works to preserve rare and endangered breeds of food and livestock, will hold it’s Annual Visitor’s Day on Saturday, June 13 from 9 a.m. till 3 p.m. Learn more about the Smithsonian & SVF Biodiversity Preservation Project, get a peek into the facilities, and meet the laboratory, veterinary, and animal husbandry staff. The day will include live cryogenics, sheep shearing demonstrations, and Julian’s Omnibus food truck, serving local heritage breed burgers and munchies. The event is free and open to the public.
• This weekend in polo, Newport’s youngest will take on the club’s senior members on Saturday, June 13 at 5 p.m. in the Newport Cup, a classic 6-chukker match. Looking for the perfect ensemble? We have a few recommendations.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.