It’s the last weekend of June and there’s a ton to do! Here’s what you need to know about Newport and environs to start your weekend.
• Peek inside roughly a dozen beautiful, private gardens during the Secret Garden Tour starting Friday, June 26. The self-guided walking tours feature about a dozen private gardens that are filled with summer blooms. Tickets can be purchased the day of the tour for $25 at 32 Washington Street or at the Visitors’ Center on America’s Cup Ave., or they can be purchased in advance for $20. The tour runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, rain or shine.
• On the water this weekend, Bacardi Newport Sailing Week begins on Friday, June 26. This year’s event features racing on Narragansett Bay, plus an impressive light photography exhibit on Bowen’s Wharf, which will be illuminated till Sunday, June 5.
• The C. Thomas Clagett, Jr. Memorial Clinic and Regatta continues this weekend at Fort Adams, hosted by Sail Newport. Celebrating 13 years, the regatta for disabled sailors is serves as prep for athletes competing in paralympic and world championship racing. Catch the sailors on the water from Friday, June 26 through Sunday, June 28, 11 a.m.–4 p.m. .
• Start your Saturday (June 27) at Rejects Beach with the first Biking and Yoga Summer Series sponsored by Newport Yogis and Bike Newport. A Community Beach Yoga class will begin at 8 a.m. followed by a 12-mile Ocean Drive Loop bike ride starting at 9:45 a.m. Bring your own mat, towel, and helmet and join the yoga class, biking, or both! The fee is donation-based.
• On the lawn at Rough Point this Saturday, June 27, you can pinch, coil, throw, fire, and celebrate the art of clay at Clayfest! Bring the family for hands-on activities for all ages. Pack a picnic lunch, or feast from the several food trucks that will be on site. The event, which runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., is part of the property’s 2015 exhibit Fired and Inspired: Ceramics at Rough Point.
• This weekend in polo, Newport will battle against Boston on Saturday, June 27 at 5 p.m. in the City Series, featuring challengers from around the U.S., in a classic 6-chukker match. Spread a picnic on the lawn or reserve your seat.
• On Saturday, June 26, StyleWeek Northeast and Child & Family present Au Courant, a fashion show and benefit with the glamorous theme “The Golden Age of Hollywood.” Beginning at 6:30 p.m., top designers from across the Northeast will gather at Ochre Court for the fabulous event, which features a cocktail party, silent auction, and runway show. Tickets begin at $125 per person and can be purchased online.
• Head out on the water on Sunday, June 28, to catch the various starts of the 2015 Transatlantic Race, an international field of more than 40 boats. Hosted by the New York Yacht Club, the race covers 2,800 miles to the finish off the southwestern tip of England. The start will begin near Castle Hill with the first warning signal at 1:50 p.m.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.