Happy Columbus Day weekend, Newport! We hope you’re psyched for the long weekend ahead! Here’s what you need to know to get it started.
• On Friday, October 9, head over to a Sip & Shop at Angela Moore between 5 and 8 p.m., when 15 percent of the proceeds from your purchases will benefit the Women’s Resource Center.
• The brand new Rogue Island Comedy Festival brings the belly laughs to Newport this weekend when comedians from favorite shows like Conan, Inside Amy Schumer, and Last Comic Standing take to the stage at Hope at and The Parlor. Two shows per day will be held at 6 and 8 p.m. from Friday, October 9 through Sunday, October 11. Purchase tickets online.
• Funny enough, Rogue Island isn’t the only show in town. Offbeat comedienne Paula Poundstone makes her local debut at the Newport Comedy Series on Friday, October 9 at the Hyatt at 8 p.m. Poundstone is an American Comedy Award winner for Best Female Stand-up Comic, is a regular on NPR’s Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me! and has appeared on The Tonight Show, the Rosie ODonnell Show, and too many HBO show to count. In other words, home girl’s funny. Pick up tickets via Live Nation.
• The third annual Clean Ocean Access Paddle to Remember (cancelled due to impending but eventual non-event Hurricane Joaquin), has been rescheduled for Saturday, October 10. Meet up at Second Beach at 3 p.m. to remember and celebrate the lives of ocean lovers now watching from above. All are welcome and encouraged to participate from land or water.
• Long-distance runners will compete in the Newport Marathon on Sunday, October 11. Beginning at Easton’s Beach, the full- and half-marathon courses wind through the farmlands of Middletown and the chi-chi neighborhoods of Newport alike. Whether you’re an experienced runner looking to qualify for the Boston Marathon, a recreational jogger or walker looking for a challenge, or a spectator out to cheer on the athletes, great views abound. Races begin at 7:30 a.m. – spots are still open!