It’s going to be a fun-filled weekend in Newport! There’s still lots going on outdoors – here’s what you need to know to enjoy it with friends and family.
• Peek inside roughly a dozen beautiful, private gardens during the Secret Garden Tour, which starts Friday, September 11 and goes through Sunday, September 13. The self-guided tours feature are filled with fall blooms. Tickets can be purchased the day of the tour for $25 at Kingscote Mansion; walk, bike, or drive to to homes on the map from there. Tickets can also be purchased in advance for $20. Tours run 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. each day, rain or shine.
• The Doris Duke Preservation Awards, presented by the Newport Restoration Foundation, will be held tonight, Friday, September 11. Three projects will be recognized, including the Audrain Building, an outbuilding restoration on The Point by David and Laura Pedrick, and a residential restoration by Jay and Brenda Wilson. The event begins at 6 p.m. at Rough Point and benefits the Foundation’s new research center, The Newport Institute for Historic Preservation and Material Culture. Tickets are $150 and can be purchased online.
• This weekend in polo, Newport will face off against a top regional rival in the New England Challenge on Saturday, September 12 at 4 p.m. Spread a picnic on the lawn or reserve a seat.
• Sailors from around the world will get together this weekend for the Rolex New York Yacht Club Invitational Cup, a biennial event hosted by the NYYC. Racing will be held in NYYC’s Swan 42s – the eighth one-design class created by the club since 1900. Practice begins on Saturday, September 12, with racing to follow beginning next Tuesday.
• As a part of the restaurant’s Culinary Master Series, Forty 1 North welcomes Patrick Feury, executive chef and partner of Nectar Restaurant in Berwyn, PA. Here, he’ll partner with Caledonia Spirits and Jasper Hill Farm Cheeses to cook for guests on Saturday, September 12, beginning at 6 p.m. The dinner ($85 per person) includes wine pairings, as well as an opportunity to meet the chef. Reservations are required.
• On Sunday, September 13, Newport Vineyards hosts the Harvest Wine Run along the trails of Aquidneck Land Trust’s Sakonnet Greenway Trail and in the Vineyard. Following the race is a wine tasting and BBQ, which is included in the registration fee. Tickets are also available for dinner only.
• Bike, run, or walk one of six scenic routes around Ocean Drive for StarRide15, an event that benefits the Star Kids Scholarship Program. This family-friendly event is for adults and children of all abilities, and includes food, fun, and prizes post-ride. Parking and sign-in begins at 8 a.m. at the Cluny School, with the ride beginning at 8:30 a.m. Register online.