Happy Father’s Day weekend, Newport! Here’s what you need to know about all that’s happening to start your weekend.
• The Newport Gulls take on the Danbury Westerners at Cardine’s Field tonight (Friday, June 19). Gates open at 5 p.m. with the first pitch at 6:35 p.m. Tickets are $4 for adults; $2 for seniors, military, and teens; and $1 for children 12 and under.
• The Newport Flower Show celebrates its 20th anniversary this year with “American Beauty–Timeless Style.” The show opens today, Friday, June 19 with a beautiful Opening Night gala at 6 p.m. and runs through Sunday, June 21. Attendees can check out the judged horticultural specimens and floral designs, special garden exhibitions, lectures, and demonstrations as well as a large marketplace on the lawn at Rosecliff overlooking Easton’s Bay. Tickets can be purchased online.
• The 9th Annual Father’s Day 5k at Norman Bird Sanctuary in honor of David Leys, Jr. is taking place on Saturday, June 20. Run, walk, or jog your way past the scenic vistas of NBS. Kids can join the fun by registering for the Frosty Freez Kids Run. Stick around after the race for music, food, and awards. Registration begins at 7 a.m., with the Kids Run at 8:15 a.m. and the 5k at 8:30 a.m. The registration fee is $30 for the 5k and $5 for the Kids Run. You can also register in advance online.
• In downtown Newport, the Trinity Strawberry Festival will be held on Saturday, June 20 on the Trinity Church Lawn in Queen Anne Square. Taste homemade strawberry shortcake and treats from 11 a.m. till 7 p.m. There will also be historic church tours, music, and artisan vendors.
• This weekend in polo, the Scottish team returns with a vengeance to reclaim victory after last year’s win by Team USA. The match begins at 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 20 at Glen Park and gates open at noon.
• Chef Terence Feury kicks off Forty 1 North’s Culinary Masters Series with a “Feast of Feury” dinner on Saturday, June 20 at 6:30 p.m. The evening includes a five-course dinner with wine pairings. Cost is $110 per person; call 401-380-2163 to purchase yours.
• The annual Elliot Kaminitz Father’s Day Ride is held each Father’s Day (Sunday, June 21) at Fort Adams State Park. The 6-, 10-, and 25-mile loops around Ocean Drive make for a gorgeous ride for cyclists of all ages and experience levels. Young cyclists are encouraged to participate this year in a Kids “Tour de Fort.” Online registration ends at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 20 but you can also register in person on Saturday from 3 till 6 p.m. at Bike Newport (437 Broadway, Newport) or on the morning of the event beginning at 7 a.m. at Fort Adams.
• On Sunday, June 21, grab Dad and the kids and head to Glen Park for the 11th Annual Rhode Island Antique Fire Apparatus Society’s Show. Antique fire trucks will be on display from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Take Dad off-island for the Second Annual Bristol Oyster Festival at DeWolf Tavern on Sunday, June 21. From 11 a.m. til 4 p.m. there will be live bands, a DJ, guest speakers, pony rides, food trucks, and Miss Rhode Island. Plus, oysters cost just $1 all day! Entrance to the event is free for all ages.
For more stuff to do, check out our events calendar.