We may not now where you can find Cupid, but we’ve got you covered if you need to snag the perfect gift to steal someone’s heart – whether it’s your BFF or a brand new flame. We’ve rounded up the best of the standards (chocolate, jewelry) and a few surprises (artisan leather, chic yoga passes) to bring you the presents with the most Xs and Os.
1. Treats from Newport Sweet Shoppe
At the Newport Sweet Shoppe, where decadent treats are made from scratch daily, chocolate lovers can choose from cookies (such as chocolate-dipped Oreos), hand-decorated cupcakes (pictured at top), beautiful and fun molded milk and dark chocolates, truffles, and chocolate-covered long-stem strawberries. But if your loved one’s palate isn’t partial to chocolate, don’t fret – a variety of other confections and candies are also on offer. Whatever your fancy, this family-owned business knows how to put the sweet in sweetheart!
2. Distressed leather wallet by Rijk Leather
Minimal and pretty, this butter-soft leather crinkle wallet by Rijk Leather is handcrafted by artisan Alison Van Hemelrijck of Providence. All of her leather goods are finely stitched and make sleek accessories for day or night. Find her work on Etsy or at the Newport Art Museum, where you can also pick up her hand-stamped anchor wallets, sold exclusively at the gift shop.
3. Sweetheart bracelet from Luca + Danni
If your honey is the type to wear her heart on her sleeve, consider a bracelet from Rhode Island-based Luca + Danni, whose special Valentine’s bangle shines with a Swarovski crystal. Find them on-island at Primavera or the Newport Historical Society Shop at Brick Market and add a little sparkle to someone’s day.
4. Membership at Shunya StudioOm is where the heart is, and a month-long membership to the newly opened Shunya Studio in Portsmouth makes a thoughtful gift for any beloved yogi. A broad variety of classes, as well as spa services, are on offer at the light-filled space. A monthly membership ($99) includes unlimited yoga at both Shunya and partner studio Thames Street Yoga in Newport, as well as discounts on boutique purchases and workshops. To give the gift of health, check out the Shunya website or stop into the studio at Clock Tower Square.
5. CK Bradley cable knit hat
If Valentine’s Day is a time to get cozy, then CK Bradley‘s wool cable-knit pom pom hat is just the thing. This fleece-lined topper with a fur pouf is available in pink or navy online at CK Bradley or in-store at Chateau & Bungalow. You’ve got a warm heart, but trust us – this hat is even warmer.
6. Scarves and baubles from Athalia of Newport
After more than a decade on the craft show circuit, jewelry maker Emily Hirsch opened her boutique, Athalia of Newport, when she decided to settle on Aquidneck Island in 2013. Her unique curation of gifts and goods include her own designs – each one an original – which she makes using sterling silver, gold vermeil, precious and semi-precious stones, vintage components, and Swarovski crystals. (Boy does this place shine!) The Franklin Street space is bursting with other regional talent, too, such as BellaLuna Designs, which makes irresistibly soft scarves upcycled from cashmere sweaters. The darling patchwork add-ons are sure to make your Valentine’s heart throb.
Going with flowers for your Valentine, but hoping to DIY? Get the hacks and tips you need to look like a pro at a fraction of the price with 5 Rules for Buying Perfect Flowers.