In honor of Newport Film’s Warhol themed friend-raiser this Saturday night, we’re channeling our inner Edie Sedgwick (minus the eating disorder and barbituates, of course). Warhol’s muse became an icon of 1960s fashion, and whether you’re planning your outfit for this weekend’s festivities or just want to add a mod touch to your everyday style, Sedgwick’s classic looks are great inspiration. Here, we’ve rounded up some great pieces that we’re sure she’d approve of if she were still here to attend another Warhol party.
1. This bustier bodysuit by American Apparel can be paired with thigh highs a la Sedgwick’s Vogue spread or with black tights and a sweater as she wore many times. (American Apparel, $58)
2. A bold pencil skirt paired with a black scoop neck tank and a skinny belt was one of Sedgwick’s go-to looks. (Boden, $118)
3. A sleeveless black mock turtleneck was a staple in any woman’s wardrobe in the 1960s. Wear it with a pair of skinny black pants. (Ming Wang, $115)
4. The classic marine stripe shirt is just as in style now as it was 50 years ago, but to give if the Sedgwick effect, pair it with tap pants and fishnet stockings. (LL. Bean, $30)
5. Sedgwick’s favorite accessory was chandelier earrings, the bigger the better, and she often chose black or gold as the primary colors she wore. (Oscar de la Renta, $315)
6. A common thread through many of Sedgwick’s looks was fishnet stockings so when in doubt just add fishnets, preferably paired with a mini or short shorts. (Hue, $13.50)